Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Model Citizen?

The people closest to me will know that, in addition to toiling in the blogosphere, I've been know to perform a good many impressions. My Scottish voice (Sean Connery) might be my favorite, but I have a few others I've worked on over the years. Most, I'm confident, are offensive - like the gay German or the 42-year-old Star Wars fan who lives with his mother.

I'm not sure to whom I owe this talent since neither of my parents can do an impression. My father does have one alternate voice he uses for every nationality when telling a story - it's a sort of Asian-with-a-speech-impediment hybrid. Often, when he does a vocal impression in the middle of a story, the listeners end up feeling sorry for the person he's depicting. "Oh, how sad," they think. "That poor man in the story is so brave. Can you imagine being a foreigner with a mental disability? I thought you said he was British?" Maybe I was adopted.

And so, from the Never Give up on Your Dreams department, I decided I should try to parlay this annoying party trick in to a dream career. My first step...email a talent agency. I sent one brief (and I'm sure pathetic) email to the Jon Casablancas talent agency and then instantly forgot about this goofy exercise. Two weeks later, I received a phone call from Maureen, the head agent at JC (that's how we, in the business, refer to Jon Casablancas). She convinced me that I was perfect for what they do and to meet with her two days later for a "sit down". Impressed by her rhetoric, I agreed. I would need to bring at least two photos of myself and my resume.

Not quite sure why a voice over professional would need head shots, I nevertheless went where any financially challenged person with a dream would go - the closest drug store. I developed two photos that didn't make me look like an ogre. The finished products were a sort of embarrassingly amateurish, black-and-white, 8 X 10 with fancy border that looked great at first sight. However, as I continued to admiringly look at them over the next few hours, I realized just how silly this would look to a tenured talent agent. How could I expect to compete against professional models with pictures of me playing basketball and posing with my son at his birthday party. As for my resume, I decided to bag that idea since the last performance I had was in playing brother number 8 or 9 in a summer production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (in 8th grade). Not exactly Sir Laurence Olivier. No ma'am, I was going in there as myself and if that wasn't good enough...they could kish my ash (Sean Connery, again).

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Mofo,
    your Connery impersonation has always been my favourite too. I think you'll knock 'em dead. Oh, I found you on here, don't ask me how - and I've shared your blog with some other friends here who also enjoy a good laugh. I forgot that you were so funny, not just funny looking! Also, we can't figure out how to "follow" your blog since we don't use any of those options (we're old school). Anyway, good luck with JC. Talk to you soon,
    chachi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chachi! Great to hear from you. To be honest, I'm impressed that you even have computers in the wild outback. Any support is good support. Insert Australian joke here (shrimp on the bah-bie, perhaps). Let me know when you're back in the states.
    MoFo

    ReplyDelete